What Are The Potential Penalties Of A DWAI In Hudson Valley, New York?
DWAIs are generally considered less serious than DWIs and are classified as violations rather than full crimes. However, they still carry significant consequences for those convicted, especially when it comes to Drug-DWAIs and Combination-DWAIs. The potential penalties for DWAIs include:
- Fines of up to $500 (plus a mandatory NYS surcharge of $260)
- Jail time of up to 15 days
- License suspension of up to 90 days
- Drug-DWAI And Combination-DWAI:
- Fines of up to $1,000 (plus a mandatory NYS surcharge of $400)
- Jail time of up to 1 year
- Up to 3 years of probation
- License revocation of at least 6 months, and potentially more
Like DWIs, repeated DWAIs can lead to more serious potential consequences. Third-offense Drug-DWAIs, for example, are felonies that carry potential penalties including fines of up to $10,000 and prison terms of up to 7 years.
Also like DWIs, the consequences of a DWAI conviction can expand far beyond the courtroom. The extra-legal consequences of a DWAI conviction may include:
- Civil lawsuits that may result in tens of thousands of dollars in damages
- Social and cultural stigma, both in present and future relationships
- Interference with or prohibition from professional licensure and working in certain fields
- Complications and negative consequences for undocumented immigrants, as well as those in the process of applying for lawful permanent residency (“green card status”) or citizenship.
- The loss of your current job and difficulty getting jobs in the future (due to background checks)
- Disqualification from receiving certain benefits (such as, in repeat DWAI felony cases, the right to live in public housing)
While this may seem overwhelming, and while DWAI charges are serious, getting a DWAI charge in Hudson Valley, NY does not have to completely upend your life. There are DWAI lawyers out there who are ready to fight for your future.
If you or a loved one is facing DWI charges in Hudson Valley, New York, Attorney Randall Inniss and the team at The Inniss Firm, PLLC, is here to help. Having spent 22 years as a NY State Trooper, Attorney Inniss has the insider knowledge that you need to help you beat your charges and move on with your life. Reach out today for a free consultation on your case.